How To Install CentOS 6
SimpleSysAdmin.info. Linux is a popular OS these days. If you want to install Linux on your computer especially install CentOS 6, you could use this tutorials. The CentOS in this tutorial is CentOS version 6.9.
Before we jump to installation process, make sure you have the installation media included installation file of Linux CentOS 6.9. If you don’t have installation file of CentOS, you can refer to this link:
After that you can burnt it to DVD or USB drive.
Here following step by step how to install CentOS 6.9 :
1. Insert DVD installer or bootable USB drive to computer and restart it.
When that screen appear, please choose “Install or upgrade an existing system” and then press enter.
2. Choose “OK” to run media testing or just skip it. Don’t forget to press enter.
3. Click “Next” to continue
4. Please select your language during the installation and for the system
5. Please select your keyboard type.
If you wish your keyboard type with “QWERTY” format, let it default.
6. Select your install location. If you want install on local device (on your computer’s HDD), select “Basic Storage Devices”. Select “Specialized Storage Devices”, if your devices connected to network as Storage Area Networks (SANs). Then click “Next”.
7. If you want format all data on your local devices, please click “Yes, discard any data” or click “No, keep any data” if you don’t want format all your data on your local devices.
8. Set your hostname of your computer. In this case “simple.sysadmin” is mine.
9. Select your timezone for your system.For me, it’s Asia/Jakarta.
10. Set password for root user on your CentOS system
Hardisk Partition on Install CentOS 6
11. Select the installation type, in this case select “Use All Space” for fresh installation on the disk.
Please check box “Review and modify partitoning layout” and then click “Next”
12. Here is the partition table of your system.
It should be have several seperated partition like /home, /var, /var/log, /usr, and /tmp. But because my system have minimum storage capacity for Linux system (20 GB), so i let it default.
13. If everything ok and ready click “Format”
14. If everything ok and ready click “Write changes to disk”
15. Boot loader installation. Click “Next” to proceed.
16. You can select what software installed during OS installation, and what server type.
For me it’s minimal, based on resource on my machine and also you can costumize now or later. Don’t forget to click “Next”.
17. Just wait until the installation is complete.
18. Installation of CentOS 6.9 on your machine/computer succeed. Please reboot the system.
19. Now, you can login with password that you set before.